Monday, September 26, 2011

Book History: My Cup of Tea?

The purpose of this blog is to be a record of my journey into Book History world. Since knowing about this field I have made up my mind, if I were to do a Ph.D., this is the only field I am willing to dedicate my life to. It is a cocktail of everything I love: books, history, libraries, literature and travel opportunities.

My favorite journal of the field is Book History Journal, published by John Hopkins University Press annually. It is available online; and Tun Sri Lanang Library UKM subscribed to it. The person who started the journal is someone important in the field of book history and also a famous writer (will refer later to Basbanes' Every Book Its Reader because his name was mentioned in the book).

I've planned to do lots of reading soon, hopefully I can spare some time away from the kids. Serious readings are different from leisure one, for sure.

*  *  *  *  *

Currently reading the article from Daedalus, "What is the history of books?" by Robert Darnton (1982).What an interesting piece! How I hope I know French, since for the most part, this interdisciplinary field developed in France during 1960s, before spreading to Europe and later America.

No comments:

Post a Comment